Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chapter 1 response

Some of the ideas that caught my attention were: being front-load vs. back-load, clarifying and bringing value to your "stuff," and getting it out of my head, to reduce "RAM."
Allen points out that typically, everyone back-loads their things-to-do, and only deal with their to-do list when the list has passed it's deadline. Allen suggests that we front-load our to-do list. One of the methods he provides to do this is the three steps to managing commitments. The step I found most interesting, was how he asked us to put a value on the task, and see how it effected how we saw and thought about the task then. Allen says that using these methods will help us get "stuff" out of our minds, and clear our "RAM" so that we can fully focus on what's really physically and mentally in front of us.  
David Allen's points in chapter one really relate to me, because even though I try to front-load my "stuff," I always end up having a huge back-load of "stuff" to do.  And bringing value to my "stuff" really makes me rethink about what things I have to do, and what things I need to do.  

1 comment:

  1. Allen's point about clearing the RAM of our minds totally stuck out to me too! When we had to do the in-class assignment of writing out all the things we have lingering in our minds on a vague to-do list, it was shocking to me how long I could write for BUT how much more manageable it felt after I had a tangible list.

    ReplyDelete