Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Chapter 1 Response

"There are so many things to do and there is only 24 hours in a day!" "Oh my god I still have three papers unfinished and tons of readings to do!" "It's hard for me to breathe right now." "Even a tiny thing like dropping a pen would make me feel like a fool now."  These are some bells that are ringing in my head today. I guess everybody has been in the stage where they feel everything around them are out of control and the whole world is against them. Well, I am the unlucky person today--right in the middle of the stage. I decided to reread chapter 1 again. (it might work like a Bible, who knows)

I was amazed by the philosophical thinking "mind like water". The example of throwing a pebble into a still pond perfectly describes the relationship between "stuffs" and balance/relaxation. Those ringing bells are the pebbles: homework need to be done, readings need to be finished, notes need to be review, events that I want to go... But the pond, which is my mind, can not return to calm after the mass of the pebbles.  I couldn't even sleep well last night because the bells keep reminding me there are so many things waiting for me to do. "Worriers" need "mind like water". It is a strategy for me to calm down and move on. It is a waste of energy when I think of the "to do list" again and not taking any further actions.

After scanning through C1 last week, I tried to organize small stuffs like electricity bills and internet bills. I broke them down into small steps: read the letter--check their website--buy stamps--drop box--done. Things get easier when I start to take actions rather than sitting there and thinking "there is a lot to do!". After rereading C1 today, I learned that thinking skill is much more important than making a to do list: when I encounter a new project, the first thing to do is to narrow down the next step to take, then work on it. I wrote down all the ringing bells in mind and started to break them down; apparently things become easier. Having things that cause tension in the bucket helps a lot. I can't wait to read forward.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Echo! It's encouraging to see how you're already putting the lessons we're learning into effect. I feel like I'm also learning how actually breaking projects down into small steps is a lot more effective than simply sitting on my butt and moaning over how much there is to do. It's interesting because I honestly would've thought that having a LONGER list of steps would make things MORE stressful when, in fact, it has actually helped to lessen my stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very important for all of us to not only read the book, but apply the concepts to our daily lives. At first, reading ch.1, i felt much like you. I had to re-read ch. 1 also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Echo. I am trying to do the same thing: find a project, break it down, do the first small step. I find it reduce stress when you start something.~~Larry

    ReplyDelete