Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chapter 2/3 Post


            I found that re-reading chapter two was crucial in my understanding of how to manage the five levels of task management. I grasped much more of the information, and could think critically about how to use the steps for my own life. In particular, I found that the distinctions between doing an action immediately it if it is under two minutes, delegating it to someone more appropriate, or deferring it to a later date is a great plan and will help to prevent procrastination and feeling overwhelmed. I also stopped making daily to-do lists after reading chapter two and I feel that I am less discouraged at the end of the day when I still have a working list to review. The only section that I was confused about was the different “feet” levels, but I should review it for the process of deciding how to complete personal work.
            Chapter three was really interesting as a development on the different aspects of project planning. The five steps of defining purpose and principles, outcome visioning, brainstorming, organizing, and identifying next actions are exceptionally helpful for larger projects, but I also like that he understands that 80% of projects are smaller in focus and can be accomplished by quickly going through the steps. In addition, the brainstorming section was very insightful as a leader to encourage participation from those I manage. 

1 comment:

  1. I really thought that his overview of project planning in chapter 3 had a lot of application in the business world, and how to be an effective leader in the meeting room and in leading projects. The five steps were definitely a great, systematic view on how to view and direct the planning process, not only for yourself but for others in the group as well. I was really intrigued by how he gave an example of how in situations of stress we react in the REVERSE of the Natural Planning Model.

    ReplyDelete