Sunday, September 29, 2013

C2&C3 Response

I finally made a decision to try to use this new system last Thursday. I wrote down all the things that are bugging in my mind:a skydiving coupon in Seattle, install bookshelf, homework......after I cleaned my mind and created an "in-bucket", I started to categorize things into "someday/maybe" "next action" and "project"lists. Surprisingly, I found that most of the things in my mind are in "someday/maybe" list! That means those unimportant things are not worth for my time and energy. Those are things I can do later; in other words, some of those I don't have the chance to do at this moment (like the skydiving coupon in Seattle).

I used "to-do" list for years and it did fried my brain especially when I looked at the long list hourly. I felt like there are so many things waiting for me to do and I honestly don't have time for everything. Procrastination starts right here. Now I try the new system and break down big project into small steps, things get easier to manage. I don't have to take out a big trunk of time only for a research paper; I can review the "next action"list and do things based on how much time I have in the day. The most important thing is to trust the calendar and the new system.

The interesting thing is I felt like I was reborn after I use the system. My mind was more peaceful than before. As a transfer junior, I was expecting my first research paper for an A,but now I tell myself if I don't give myself the chance to fall down, I would never learn how to stand up again and learn from the mistake. It is ok to get a C if I have tried my best. I am standing on the starting line now and the only person I can compare to is myself. I get C for the first time and I will try to get B next time. Everything has a process and we always need to move to next action in order to complete the project. We can't swallow a watermelon at one time--it need to be cut into pieces.This system is an inspiration for me.

1 comment:

  1. Like you said in the middle paragraph, having a list of immediately actionable tasks makes all the difference in the world. It's not enough to just have a list of broad items that needs to be accomplished--that just leads to procrastination in the face of a seemingly insurmountable feat. Good point also on holding yourself to your own standards, as determined by your maximum effort, rather than holding yourself to expectations that can only result in disappointment.

    ReplyDelete