Thursday, September 19, 2013

Response to Chapters 1 & 2

My first impression of the concept "mind like water" was that it sounded a bit silly and far-fetched.  However, once I read David Allen's description indicating that it is like "the ability to generate a focused thrust with speed," a state in which "all your resources and faculties function at a maximum level," I began to understand its importance (11, 12).  Personally, I'm rarely in such a state.  I might be reading up for one of my classes, but I'm constantly distracted by thoughts about other class projects I have due, chores that need to be done at home, products I'm running out of and need to be purchased at the right store, and work deadlines I need to meet.  In addition to this, I have my phone and laptop nearby and have the constant distraction of checking email or social media.  I'm looking forward to learning more about a system that will help me feel more in control in all aspects of my life.

In describing the five stages of mastering workflow, I found Allen's advice of having "as many in-baskets as you need and as few as you can get by with" helpful.  Currently it seems like most "stuff" that comes into our lives is in electronic form.  I think I'll use the notes section on my phone to create a list of projects and a "next actions" list.  I plan to keep my calendar on my laptop, and keep trash, someday/maybe, and reference folders in my primary e-mail.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way as you do! We are college students and there are massive amount of attractions out there. When I am doing hw at home, I cant help to check my fb from time to time; not to mention there are students checking fb message while they are in class. I found writing everything down in the trust bucket is very helpful. It keeps us from a messy mind. I think having a reference folders in the primary email is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete