Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chapter 10


            There is a lot of useful advice in this chapter such as having easy to use and readily accessible tools at hand for those moments in which ideas about a project do pop into your head.  Even when it is not at the appropriate setting to execute those ideas, we can note them so we “don’t lose any ideas about projects that could potentially be useful” (215).  I like his idea that physical tools keep your thinking anchored to engage yourself constructively, because thoughts are free-floating and easily lost when you keep them in your mind.  That is why the right tools are so essential.  As I said in the last class, if the organizing application has too many functions I will tend to fall behind in my projects/reviewing and stop using the electronic tool.  It is true when Allen says, “most project-planning software is too rigorous for the majority of the project thinking and planning we need to do.” (221).  A tool is sufficient as long as I am comfortable using it and I can efficiently process my projects. 
            I think an important part of getting a handle on projects and feeling in control is to allow yourself to begin the process.  Just starting will help since it usually will spark the thinking, processing, and organizing mode to get us moving forward.  This can be compared to not wanting to do an assignment, but at least some progress will be made once we sit down and allow ourselves to start working.  I find that it is one of the toughest parts about staying on top of projects, but I have to remind myself that I will get into a productive state of focus if I start now instead of feeling rushed in a stressed mode if I put it off for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment