Saturday, November 16, 2013

Chapter 11

            I really enjoyed chapter 11 from David Allen because it got really personal.  I completely relate to the agreements discussion.  I have a really hard time saying no and when I don't say no, I set myself up for an agreement that I can't fulfill, which very often leads to very negative feelings.  I've come to call and label myself as a flaker, which doesn't necessarily make it okay for me to flake, but it does bring negative feelings to myself.  I not only bring myself down because I couldn't complete the agreement I made with myself, but I also jeopardize my relationship with my friends who I failed to complete an agreement I made. 

            Allen states: "I suggest that you use your mind to think about things, rather than think of them.  You want to be adding value as you think about projects and people, not simply reminding yourself that they exist."  This quote basically summarizing the whole book to me.  Allen has repeatedly emphasized the importance of having a system and trusting the system, and this quote summarizes what the system can do for someone.  I love the system and I have integrated many of Allen's tools into my daily life, but the one thing I need to work on most is the "Weekly Review" (ironically, the most important).  But, I have seen how having a system allows my RAM not to be filled with thinking of trying to complete a task, but thinking about how completing that task is beneficial to me and people around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment