Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chapter 11

In chapter 11 Allen discusses the power of the collection habit.  He identifies the source of the anxiety we feel when we're collecting activity: "Your negative feelings are simply the result of breaking agreements-they're the symptoms of disintegrated self-trust" (227).  He recommends three viable options to prevent broken agreements with oneself: 1) Don't complete the agreement 2) Complete the agreement 3) Renegotiate the agreement.

I recently had an experienced similar to the one described by Allen.  Given my class load, I had to change my work availability and lower it by two hours.  I emailed the area director letting her know that I felt overwhelmed and that I wouldn't be able to cover those hours until I graduate in December.  Like Allen described, instead of her being upset with my refusal, she was impressed with my discipline.  She emailed me letting me know that she was glad that I knew my limits and was not willing to compromise the therapy we provide for our clients (who are children on the autism spectrum).  She also encouraged me to keep working hard in my classes, and keep in mind that I only have a bit over a month left before graduation.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad your director was understanding of your decision! I think knowing our limits is really important because it benefits ourselves as well as others. Especially in this case, I feel it would be difficult to have the appropriate energy to provide therapy to others while the provider is feeling overwhelmed themselves. As Allen describes, it is okay to say no if we have a lot on our list in order to complete those well before taking on more.

    ReplyDelete