Thursday, November 14, 2013

Response to Ch 11

This chapter was very surprising in that it was a remarkable departure from methodology. It's interesting how Allen is talking about the psychological aspects of making commitments, a higher-level problem which is still persistent in my todo system. He is right in that people need to be more careful about what they commit to. In fact, despite my extremely organized todo system, I've made too many commitments and nearly 1/3 of my tasks always manage over to spill over to the next day. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I let my personal tasks keep getting delayed, but I never fail to accomplish the tasks required of me for my organizations and groups. The one thing I can take away from this chapter (and this semester) is that quality > quantity. Commit to things I can fully deliver on instead of giving a half-assed job every time. However, a GTD system for every person is still more important than the abstract ideas this chapter talks about. This chapter is more applicable once people have gotten their system up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment