Thursday, October 10, 2013

Week 4 entry - Chapter 6

 Allen’s basic rules for processing is very systematic in which the top item is processed first, one item is processed at a time, and nothing is ever put back into “in” (122).  This way of thinking is so effective, because I then have to deal with everything I put into my in-basket equally.  The priority of the items will more or less sort itself out through this method of processing, as items are placed in different categories in the filing system.  The items that I need to focus on the most will emerge.  The trouble comes with deciding which of those actionable items to do first.  However, Allen points out that “even if the item is not a ‘high priority’ one, do it now if you’re ever going to do it at all” for a next action that can be done in two minutes or less (131).  I appreciate how Allen notes that two minutes is just a guideline, because not everyone works in this fast manner or can take care of simple tasks in just two minutes.  However, I can improve my productivity and speed by increasing my typing speed, reading speed, and using keyboard shortcuts with tasks concerning electronic items.  For using the systematic format of delegating items, faster typing speed will definitely help, as the first step is to “send the appropriate party an e-mail” (134).  I very much agree with his reasoning for using e-mail over the other forms of notification, because the record of the communication is kept in one place you can easily find and refer back to. 

I found myself comparing this section to washing dishes as a college student, where the kitchen sink is the in-basket and dishes as the open loops.  The more dishes that accumulate, the more I will want to only wash the “higher priority” dishes for my current need.  For example, picking out a bowl and spoon to wash for my morning cereal.  If I continue to process only what I feel like processing, there are dishes still soaking in the sink waiting to be done at a later time.  However, if I took the two minutes to wash the dish right after I had used them, then I would not have an accumulated pile.  I am completing the next action when I first pick up the item. 

I began using Remember The Milk, and I am adjusting to the format and tagging everything appropriately.  So far I like the functions, but would want to see a viewing option for the month.  I will have to try Evernote as well to see how they compare.  I also started to decrease the number of e-mails in my inbox, clearing it of all the useless expired notifications. 


1 comment:

  1. I like your analogy! Totally feel it cuz I don't like doing dishes at all. It is true that if you keep procrastinate, things will file up and nothing really gets done.

    ReplyDelete