Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chapter Nine Response

I found this chapter to be particularly helpful for the past few weeks and understanding the difficulties of prioritizing certain items over others. While it is easy to make the long to-do list, the act of placing things above others tends to stress me out as I wonder if I am making the right judgement call. Like Allen states, I find it easier to do all the urgent matters at hand instead of processing and examining the ones that have been left on the back burner. As I have began this process, however, I have become more comfortable in making decisions with my someday/maybe list and my future goals. As I am a senior and working towards finding my full-time job after graduation, I have been taking time to sit down and really assess what I want in a company instead of mindlessly attending workshops and applying to anything. This has really helped to buckle down my long-term goals and concentrate on the tasks that will help me achieve my future success. 
Chapter Nine's emphasis on priorities really spoke to me, and I think that Allen's real-world example of sitting an office with a million tasks to do and only a limited time until the next appointment resonates with most people. That struggle I am still working on, but I think that understanding that it is not just me is very beneficial. 

3 comments:

  1. I also found it helpful that Allen goes through the process of decision making since I never seem to make the right ones. I'm currently a sophomore who is very indecisive with which major to choose. This chapter has made me think about what's important and which direction I want to go in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Michelle, I am a senior and I chose between Sociology and Poli Sci in my Sophomore year. I talked to the professor who I was taking a Poli Sci class with and she chatted with me, and advised me to do Sociology. That's how I decided to major in Sociology.

      To Alexandra, yeah, looking for a job is hard. I appreciate that Getting Things Done teaches me to take out all the things in my head at least at the current moment, so as to focus. This makes me a little bit more efficient in coping with life. ~~Larry

      Delete
  2. I also found David's advice of taking future goals into account helpful. It's easy to get caught up in all the tasks that come up on a daily basis. Looking at the big picture is essential. I also plan to use this information when looking for a job. I plan to teach English while I get a Post-Bac and go to grad school and want to make sure I like the company I work for.

    ReplyDelete