Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chapter 4 and 5

I enjoyed my reading of chapters 4 and 5 because it finally gave me the practical steps I was craving. Chapter 4 did a great job of establishing the context I need in order to properly implement a long-term system of organized living. The points Allen made about having the tools to stay organized in a home office setting helped me recognize a big reason of why it seems so easy for me to keep my life in check in certain AREAS but not my own home. Just the simple fact that my office hasn't been set up since moving in and I don't even have a personal desk that I do my homework at. This chapter helped me to understand that in order to establish more order in my life, particularly in the organization of my home and in managing my "stuff," I really need to make moving in and arranging my office a priority.

What stuck out to me in Chapter 5 was the process of keeping my stuff updated and throwing out things that aren't needed or don't fall into one of my inboxes. I've realized in the process of moving into a new home that I definitely exhibit packrat tendencies including keeping various little notes that honestly have no significance but I think I might want to reminisce on... someday. What I realized in reading this segment is how small of a percentage of times I actually went back and looked at these pieces of miscellaneous chicken scratches that I've left piled in the corner of my desk.

Step one after reading these two chapters is to make moving my desk and office supplies over to my new home a project of priority this week and ALSO to establish physical and online inboxes ASAP to begin dealing with my large amount of "STUFF" that has way too much power in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Yes-- when I first moved in to my new apartment, the very first thing I did was to set up a working station because I know my primary work place is at home. I feel more efficient when I am working at the the table at home since there are tools and file holders for me to look for reference whenever I need to. Trust me, it is really helpful to improve your productivity when you set up everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more thing, I have the same habit as you do: I want to keep things because I think they might be useful someday. I feel you! I am thinking about having a folder label as "someday" so I can put all the small notes there and review it monthly to throw away things I don't really need. Maybe you can categorize the small notes within the folder! Try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to same problem where my desk at home is extremely disorganized. This small issue has led to a bigger issue of not having my own space to focus. Now I have the urge to go back home and clean my desk once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more with your point about collecting useless scraps of paper. My desk is filled with forgotten notes, fliers, papers, and all other manner of junk that, if given infinite time, I might eventually sift through and find some value in. However, in the real world in which time is the most valuable resource, these things are only an obstacle to productivity.

    ReplyDelete