Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chapter 4 and 5 Blog Post

In chapter three, Allen talked about the importance of having a physical work station. I have a desk with a chair in my room, but I realized that I never use it. Why? Well as students we tend to do homework anywhere, and as long as it gets done the place does not necessarily matter. However, I thought about this for a while, and I came to the conclusion that the reason why I avoid/procrastinate is because I do not have a place for me to go physically, and do my work. Allen, talked about the importance of enjoying working in your physical station, so I decided to put into use my desk and my swivel office chair (which is surprisingly very comfortable).

Like I mentioned in class, I am very organized, but my demise comes when I see that I have a lot of "stuff" to handle, and I just store, file and leave it there. I take no action because I feel overwhelmed with everything, so I do not even want to look at it. What made me happy is that I had most of the supplies in order to build my physical work station. I just next a labeler!

In chapter 4, Allen really breaks down the system. This is what I wanted to read because this will be the challenge for me. He recommended that we take at least two days out of our week to start this project that sounds great; however, I do not have two days to spare. I have midterms coming up, and I have a lot of studying to do. If I just take a half a day to organize my "stuff" I feel like it will just end up sitting there.  I really need to commit to this, so I will try my hardest to take a day perhaps two to completed.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked you point about students doing homework anywhere and not just at my desk and chair at home: it's very true and I find myself doing that as well. It's great to do that because if it's well organized it can be an "office space in transit" like David Allen mentioned. But it's still important to have that first centralized desk space as home base. Like you, I also have the same demise to tend to not take action when overwhelmed, but chapter 4 really helped as a good starting point!

    ReplyDelete