Thursday, October 17, 2013

Response to Chapter 7

I agree with dividing all tasks into the 7 categories that Allen describes. However, the one thing that is holding me back from implementing this is the lack of any sort of todo program that is designed around Getting Things Done. Right now, my current application lacks Project management, and that makes it somewhat annoying to divide the tasks and organize them. It is also interesting that Allen keeps mentioning throwing away things. It's very hard to resist this impulse because you never know when you might need that piece of information, but if I think about it for long enough, there really hasn't been any dire situation where all the info I stored somewhere saved me. If anything, anything you need to know is just little more than a Google search away. On an unrelated note, it's pretty funny to read about Rolodex, which have no relevance anymore with Google contacts.

1 comment:

  1. I have a really hard time with throwing things away for the exact same reason you mentioned. Allen does emphasize not holding onto things cause it will cause more clutter in the flow of the system, but then he notes that "when you've fully implemented this action-management methodology, you can be as big a packrat as your space (physical and digital) will allow ... the more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned, since increasing the volume of pure reference material adds no psychic weight" (164). This confused me because does this mean it's okay for me to continue to keep things as long as I have the space for it? I don't think I'd actually want ALL that clutter, but the maybe-important-items I'd have a harder time getting rid of.

    ReplyDelete