Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chapter 8

In this chapter, Allen discusses the steps needed to keep the system functional.  This involves being able to see all the action options when needed.  Being able to see errand actions for example, is valuable when one is on the way to running another errand like picking up something at the dry cleaners.  One of Allen's insights was particularly interesting: "This is the biggest challenge of all.  Once you've tasted what it's like to have  clear head and feel in control of everything that's going on, can you do what you need to to maintain that as an operational standard?" (184)  This question has been on my mind since the beginning of this course.  In order to keep the system updated discipline is necessary.  I do feel that the relaxed control felt will serve as a motivating factor to achieve this.  Allen's concept of the weekly review, that is, "doing whatever you need to do to get your head empty again," by going through the five phases of workflow management will be of great help in maintaining the system (185).  I would probably put this review in my calendar in order to ensure I dedicate those couple of hours every week without exceptions.

2 comments:

  1. I also think that discipline is a big factor that plays into this system actually working. I can get started and set up, but the system falls apart once I am not updating. I like your idea of putting the actual review as a task on the calendar, which will continually help remind us it is something we must do. The review also allows time for viewing the bigger picture to help us stay on track with our end goals, not just daily tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely a good point; I've added weekly review into my task system!

    ReplyDelete