Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chapter 9

Allen discussed three main ideas: the four-criteria model for choosing actions in the moment, the threefold model for evaluating daily work, and the six-level model for reviewing your own work. 
            The four-criteria model for choosing actions is great because it allows me to see what is required to complete a next-action, project or 'surprise.'  The most criteria that I found most helpful was identifying the 'time available' and how much time it will take to complete a next-action or task.  I have began to write down the amount of time needed to complete my next-action along with the action itself, because now when I go back and look at my system, I can easily identify how much time I have available and what I can squeeze into my schedule to complete. 
            The threefold model for evaluating daily work is another reminder to me that if I have my system set up the way I find functional, then surprises would not cause chaos.  Allen states, "If you know what you're doing and what you're not doing, surprises are just another opportunity to be creative and excel." And I could not agree more.  I agree with Allen that we tend to spend most of our time dealing with surprises and forget that we have previous next-actions and projects that need attention.  But, if we spend a whole day on surprises, we feel productive, but in actuality, we might have put ourselves in a more stressful situation tomorrow.  But, if we treat the surprises as 'stuff' and use the four-criteria model for choosing actions in the moment, and use our system, then we should be able to see surprises as just another next-action or project.  This quote summed it up for me: "The challenge is to feel confident about what you have decided to do." For me, this quote is saying, trust the system that you have created!

            The six-level model for reviewing your own work was hard for me to relate to, because I'm at a stage where I'm not sure what I want to do as a career.  And my only real long-term goal at the moment is to graduate in the Fall of 2014 from UC Berkeley. What I did take away from this model is that working from the bottom up is as important as working from the top down.  Knowing my long-term goals will motivate me to complete my next-actions.  And vice-versa, completing my next-actions lists with the knowledge and vision that it helps me progress towards achieving my 50,000+ feet goals.  

2 comments:

  1. It definitely takes a lot of time to master the discipline of jumping from task to task; even with my organization system of over a year I have yet to to master actually getting things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the Six-Level Model. As students and young adults we are expected to know who we want to be and what we want to do, but in reality we just want to graduate, and then hopefully we figure out what's our passion.

    ReplyDelete