Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chapter 9 Response

In this chapter, Allen provides an answer to the question, "how do you decide what to do at any given point?"  He discusses three models which are a different means to making the best action choices.  Given the varied professions and lifestyles that exist, I appreciate him offering more than one solution to this question.  I find that the Four-Criteria Model best suits my current needs.  Using this model, action choices are based on context, time available, energy available and priority.  Considering the context, meaning the location and tools available is something I hadn't previously considered and am looking forward to implementing.  It just makes so much sense and seems like a valuable time-saving tool.

Categorizing actions by energy available is also something that makes complete sense, yet I hadn't previously taken it into account.  I waste time because I often feel too tired to tackle seemingly overwhelming tasks.  Instead, I opt to do things that require no energy like watching T.V. or browsing the web.  Having a low energy action category with things like casual reading, imputing simple information, or file purging would help me make use of this time, rather than wasting it.  Additionally active choice based on relative priority is a helpful concept.  Currently I'm taking six classes, teaching an ESL class, and working part time.  In light of this schedule, I have to deal with the fact that no matter what, there are certain things that won't get done.  Taking priority into account, as mentioned by David Allen will allow me to feel good about what I don't get done at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment