Sunday, October 6, 2013

Chapter 6 response

The best quote for me from chapter 6 is, "Nothing goes back into 'in.'"  I struggle with this one the most because I typically put everything back and say, "maybe next time when I have time."  But, Allen does a tremendous job in breaking down every step in the 'in' workflow diagram.  I have recently bought my physical inbox, but due to midterms this week and next week, I won't dive into the process of gathering my 'in' things until after.  But, I will say that I love the system, and I believe in the system, so I will make sure that I will be "all systems go" after my midterms.

            Another great thing I took away from chapter 6 is Allen's definition of a project.  I just recently started using this program, Evernote.  I love it and I typically just have a couple of tags (i.e. tasks, goals, misc).  Yes, those are very broad and I could easily get lost with those tags.  So Allen's new system of tagging is helping me out tremendously.  I especially love the way he presents projects.  At first, when Matt was talking about having projects, I said to myself, "I have no projects."  But, the perspective in which Allen defines projects as any 'in' thing that requires more than one action, I now have many projects.  But, having many projects is a good thing because from the perspective of Allen, projects become simple Next-Action tasks.  As long as you know what the end of the project looks like, projects become a process of fulfilling Next-Action tasks.  This definition of projects makes it much simpler and very much less stressful to manage projects.  

**I highly recommend Evernote.  I don't work for them, so I'm not advertising, but this is an amazing program.  It's a one-click note taker: you can take a picture, voice record, draw something, write something.  And one of the best things about it, is that it syncs from your PC to your phone.  They have a PC application, a browser application and a phone application. It's pretty awesome**

3 comments:

  1. I also thought that I had no projects! But, after going through the whole process, I realized that I did have projects. "Nothing goes back in," I am still a little skeptical on this. I tend to just leave things, and say to myself "I'll do it later." Unfortunately "later" never comes and action never occurs. I hope that after I conquer a project I will be as optimistic as you are.

    Thank you for recommending Evernote. I have never heard of this program, but I'll definitely check it out. Now, I am using my email account, my IPhone notes app and Dropbox, but that program sounds very helpful. These days we have so much new technology that we have a hard time choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great quote! It was a good thing to keep in mind as I went through my inbox this weekend. Even if it was just writing down an item from my inbox to my calendar, knowing that it was processed [and not back in my inbox] just generally made me less stressed about it. His definition of projects is very helpful too. I agree, I also thought at first that I don't really have "projects" but then realized that as students, those midterms & essays are in fact projects. Tackling them by making Next-Action lists is a great first step in closing the open loop. Also, thanks for recommending Evernote, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote also stuck out to me. I tend to have a habit of putting things back in the "In" basket without realizing it. I also think I'll have to try out Evernote! Sounds like a potential organization system I can work with.

    ReplyDelete