Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chapter 7 Reading

Several points in this week's reading rung true for me this week. The biggest point was the importance of Hard Edges for your calendar. Many times I would schedule things and have them fall through because I didn't take the engagement as a MUST DO, for instance, grab spare keys for my bicycle, fix my cell phone case, etc. These are things that I deemed as Need to be Done, but not right away. In doing so they NEVER got done. I really found interested and zoned into the section describing how to organize nonactionable data, because I find myself having trouble in organizing those particular types of work.I am quite skeptical about SOME of their organizational suggestions though, as I have no room in my apartment, or desire to at the moment, keep a large filing cabinet for things going on in my life. For now, I think I'll stick to the smaller, more compact organizational realm of my phone/computer. The email organizational section, I particularly agree with as well, as I like to have my things in more subfolders than just simple key words like... In recent days I've been using Any.DO, an app that lets you create To-Do lists for yourself, and I noticed that the app adopted this theory. They have only 4 lists in which you can put stuff into, Today, Tomorrow, Upcoming, Someday. These simple categories really help me focus on the key part of an organizational tool, to help simplify your life. I'm not quite sure how to put this week's reading into practice, as I seem to already practice it, but it definitely justified this system I've got going already, and I am happy about that!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you about the importance of having hard edges when deciding to place an item on the calendar. It just makes it the calendar a more definitive space and avoids it from being filled up with daily tasks.

    ReplyDelete